21.5.15

MORNING TEA ON A MONDAY ON A THURSDAY : POLENTA, ALMOND & PEAR CAKES WITH STRAWBERRIES

This week has been tiring, not because of Clementine - she has been a dreamboat. I'm just tired. Tired of this and tired of that. I'm bored, anxious, tired, lazy, happy, crazy, angry and sad...sound familiar ladies? Yes, you know the culprit PMS. Dealing with PMS with a toddler is HARD. There are so many secret chapters in the book of motherhood and PMS is definitely one of them - why didn't anyone warn me about this? Mothers need to warn each other about the dangers of becoming a yelly, ranty, chocolate obsessed hormonal mom! (I'm on my fourth dark chocolate digestive biscuit for the day and yesterday I inhaled a whole block of fruit & nut...like who the f**k eats fruit & nut these days?).

Each month poor Adam (becasue he gets he brunt of it all!) has to deal with me becoming a cocktail personalty of Courtney Love, Michael Douglas in Falling Down, drunk Bridgette Jones and Crazy Eyes from O.I.T.N.B...lets jut say the myki card better work on the tram...for its sake. I know that there are many things I can do to manage the 'crazies' (a.k.a PMS) with diet, yoga, vitamins, getting a massage, wine? But for me I try to push through, acknowledge its happening and embrace it. Walk it off, dance it off and bake it up. Because baking is my zen place and Clementine loves it too. She now walks into the kitchen and says "What are we baking today mummy?" and that makes me so very happy.

I had a huge punnet of strawberries that Clementine wanted from the markets- all the market mamas love Clementine and she LOVES all the free grapes and extra treats they give her. I also had a container of polenta that needed to be used up, so when I was hoovering my 100th row of fruit & nut last night I googled recipes and I discovered this lovely lush looking blog What Should I Eat For Breakfast - I swooned and went to heaven! A blog about breakfast - YUM. And it seems the writer and new mom, Marta is tired too.

So this is a recipe for all tired, hormonal, crazy eyed chocolate eating moms out there. There's no chocolate in this dish but you can drown your hormonal sorrows by drowning these little cakes in maple syrup or honey and eat as many as you like.....because....well, tomorrow you may not eat until lunchtime! We enjoyed ours with cinnamon yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.

POLENTA, PEAR & ALMOND CAKES WITH STRAWBERRIES

Make sure you cook the polenta until it is really really thick. I didn't cook my polenta long enough so when I started to fry them there was too much moisture and some of the cakes lost their shape and were a tad difficult to flip. I rectified the problem by cooking them on a very low heat for a looong time and then putting them in the oven to keep warm and dry out a bit more.

recipe adapted from here


1 cup polenta
2 cups almond milk
2 cups water
pinch of salt
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ cup dried pear, finely chopped
4-5 strawberries, sliced
maple syrup to serve
greek yogurt and cinnamon to serve

Line a 20cm x 30cm baking tray with baking paper
Scatter the bottom of the tray with the strawberries
In a medium sized saucepan mix polenta, milk, water, salt and dried pear.
Bring it to the boil and then cook on medium-low heat stirring occasionally so the polenta does not stick to bottom of the pan.
The polenta is cooked when it is a thick paste like mixture.
Pour the polenta over the top of the strawberries and spread it out evenly. 
Leave for at least an hour to set or place in fridge overnight..
Once set cut it in squares or in round shapes or whatever shape you like!
Grease a frying pan with some olive oil and cook the polenta cakes until they a golden and a crust has formed.
Keep cakes warm in a 100C deg oven.

0 comments:

POPULAR POSTS