8.3.16

A SIMPLE PLEASURE: GÂTEAU AU YAOURT

We have just returned from a couple of weeks in 'Struggle Town' - Clémentine started kindergarten (HOORAY!) but then came down with a cold (BOO!) which led to an ear and chest infection (WAAAAH!).  I then lost my voice due to a throat infection (NOOOOO!) so we have had many sleepless nights playing musical beds which has completely mucked up Clémentine's sleep habits. Then I decided to literally spin out with a bad case of the dizzies aka, vertigo....the worst I have ever had.
BEST
TWO
WEEKS
EVER.
So to ground myself I decided to bake and then eat a warm slice of this comforting cake that has the slight taste of a cheesecake, the crumb of a pound cake and the fluffiness of a sponge. Good medicine.

I have known about this recipe for a few years now but for some strange reason I have not made one.....until now! Every French household has it's own version of this cake and word on la rue is that it is usually the first cake a child learns to bake. A wonderful thing about this cake is that you use the yogurt pot to measure all the other ingredients. The batter is quite thick, similar to a muffin batter (it would make great little muffins for little eaters!). You could experiment using a fruit yogurt or a rich vanilla for an extra vanilla kick, cinnamon or go Greek, natural....whatever takes your fancy! With the addition of using oil instead of butter and the amount of yogurt used means this cake keeps for about 4 days before it starts to dry out. Trust me, we're on day 4!

Traditionally baked in a loaf tin, this cake is great for lunch boxes. Generous slices are sturdy enough to be held in one hand and munched on while your child runs about the playground. I broke with tradition and baked the cake in an 8 inch round tin, served with fresh strawberries, a cup of hot tea for me, a strong coffee for Adam and a babycino with sprinkles for Clémentine.

Enjoy baking this with your bébé.


Gâteau Au Yaourt


I have listed the recipe in 'pots' and in cups, just in case you only had a giant tub of yogurt in the fridge like I did! I also used olive oil instead of vegetable oil, use whatever you have on hand.


2 pots / 1 cup yogurt
2/3 pot / 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 pots / 2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 pot / 1/3 cup golden caster sugar


Pre-heat oven to 180 Degrees.
Grease and line the bottom of a loaf / 8 or 9 inch round cake tin
In a mixing bowl add all wet ingredients and mix well.
Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes.
Serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar.
Store cake in an air tight container.
Cake will last up to 5 days.













0 comments:

POPULAR POSTS